There are several things that must take place before you can begin to transfer your domain name. Once they are done, you can begin the domain name transfer at the home web site for the new domain name registrar where you want your domain name transferred to. The purpose of this tutorial is to help you get started when you are transferring your domain from 123-reg.co.uk to another domain registrar. This tutorial assumes that you have a domain already registered with 123-reg.co.uk, and we are going to start on their home page.
The first thing you must do is make sure the domain name is not locked, which will prevent it from being transferred out of the current registry.
- Begin by clicking on the Control Panel Login link in the right hand corner.
- Enter your 123-reg.co.uk account username and password in the pop-up boxes, and click OK. You are now logged in to your 123-reg.co.uk account.
- From the Pull-down menu in the middle of the page, select the domain you wish to transfer, then click on the Manage button.
- This will bring up the Control panel for this domain, and you need to scroll down.
- Click on the Manage Domain Locking.
- This will take you to the Manage Domain Locking page, and you will scroll down again. It will tell you if your domain is locked or unlocked. If it is locked, click on the Unlock domain link.
- You will now get a confirmation screen showing that the lock has been removed and it is ready to be transferred.
There are several other things that need to be done while you are logged in to your account. You should verify that your Contact Info is correct and up-to-date both at the current registry and the Who-Is. You also should obtain, most likely by email, what is called the EPP code, or the Auth Code, or the KEY Code, or it may be called a different name. It is the authorization code that allows the registries to permit the transfer of your domain name. This code needs to be given to your new domain registrar to begin the transfer process. When finished, click the log out button in the upper right corner.
You are now ready to visit our web site or contact us to initiate the domain transfer request. This ends this tutorial. You now know how to unlock your domain at its current registrar, if the registrar is 123-reg.co.uk, so that it can be transferred to another domain registry.